Friday, April 6, 2012

Happy Spring Break!

Hey all!  This post is largely aimed at my students (*waves*) but contains some cool things that the rest of you might want to know about, too.  Now that we all have a little bit of free time, here are some things you might consider doing:

1) Voting in the Children's Choice Book Awards (yes, there is a teen section, it is not just for wee ones!)  Both Clockwork Prince and Divergent are finalists, so, um, good luck with that, you guys.  I know my choice--but sadly, I am not a teen and cannot in good conscience vote here...so choose wisely, gang.

2) A week from Sunday--so, the day before we all have to wake up early again, aka Sunday the 15th--there is a super-awesome signing at Books of Wonder featuring Lauren Oliver (Pandemonium), Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me), Veronica Rossi (Under the Never Sky), and Anna Carey (Eve).  Admittedly, I'm 0-for-3 in actually getting to book signings I wanted to go to...but maybe this is the exception?  Anyway.  It sounds excellent.  

3) I mean, probably seeing The Hunger Games again?  That's my plan.

Also, let me know what you're reading!  I have really ambitious plans: the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld, Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, and Beauty Queens by Libba Bray, which I finally started the other day, and which is hilarious so far.

Enjoy the break!

Edited to add:  Books of Wonder is also running basically the coolest promotion I could possibly imagine--donate books to kids and get chances to win a hand-signed copy of The Hunger Games--and while part of me wants no one else to know about it, the bigger and better part of me wants everyone to know about it because it is so incredible.  Details here.  (And yes, you can enter by buying books through their website as well, so if you're out of town, still check it out!)


4 comments:

  1. I loved Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. I haven't gone to see Hunger Games again, yet. Maybe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to take Mr. S to see it--but then again, I also MUST SEE Titanic in the movie theaters again! I was in 7th grade when it came out originally and saw it FIVE TIMES...so I can't pass up this chance. They'll both happen this week, I just don't know in which order.

      Delete
  2. Oh, you should definitely go to the book signing. Do it for all of us who are stuck in remote (?) locations that never host awesome authors lol :D That is quite the stellar lineup they have there! I so wish I could go.

    I could also easily go see The Hunger Games movie for a third time. I think my husband would probably put his foot down at that point. I guess I'll just have to hold out until it's on blu-ray. Then I can wear the thing out :)

    What I'm currently reading? An ARC of Kristin Cashore's Bitterblue. So far, so awesome because Kristin Cashore is just awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to build a collection--Books of Wonder is a great place for that. (They actually sell some of their signed books on their website...) What I love is that they treat signed books just like regular merchandise, so it's the same price and on the same shelves, and it's there until it sells out! But I am also excited to hear these ladies talk about their work a little bit.

      Delete

Thanks for coming by! Please chime in!