Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday Fives: Christmas Stories!

Ok, so I skipped out on RTW this week, as I sometimes do when it has a particularly writerly focus.  (It kind of seems like everyone else waited to start their blogs until they had finished at least one MS...)


Anyway, I'm super excited about this week's Friday Fives from Paper Hangover!


What are your FIVE favorite Christmas/holidays stories or novels?


1) "A Pint of Judgement" by Elizabeth Morrow--This is one of many stories in my all-time favorite Christmas anthology: Norman Rockwell's Christmas Book.  This one is about a little girl who overhears--and misunderstands--her mother's Christmas wish.


2) "Christmas Every Day" by William Dean Howells, also known to me from this anthology.  The title sums it up, and it's a tired concept at this point, but this story is one of the older takes on the idea and I really like the way it's is written.


3) The description of Maria's first Christmas with the vonTrapps in The Story of the Trapp Family Singers.  The house is all a-bustle with present-making and suspense and it just sounds magical.


4) Laura and Mary going through their stockings in what I'm guessing is Little House On The Prairie--but maybe Big Woods?  They get sticks of candy AND and orange AND a penny EACH.  (I think reading the Little House books at a very young age really contributed to the notion I had growing up that my family was fairly wealthy.  Our house had glass window panes, we used white sugar at the table, and our Christmas stockings were so full they didn't ever stay up where we hung them.   I was way off base--money was often tight in our house then, but it never occurred to me to notice.)  


5) Ok, I have to cheat and say A Christmas Story!  It goes on as soon as we get to my dad's house and doesn't go off all day.  One of my all-time favorite movies in general, this has to make my favorite Christmas stories list.

2 comments:

  1. Nice list! I'm a sap who like Gift of the Magi, and also A Child's Christmas in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love A Christmas Story. I'll have to look into this Norman Rockwell Anthology.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! Please chime in!