Happy New Year! We made it to 2012. 2011 was a pretty good year for me, with some big personal and professional events, but I'm looking forward to even better things in 2012. First of all: my resolutions.
1) Be more organized about my reading. I want to keep track of everything I read this year, so that those end-of-the-month Road Trip Wednesdays won't creep up on me quite so much. I also want to keep track of what I plan to read, since all of my fellow bloggers keep going on and on about dozens and hundreds and ZILLIONS of books that I want to read, and sometimes I lose track.
2) Read more broadly. This means different genres within YA, as well as genres outside of YA. Each month I will pick a new genre and try to read 1-3 books in that genre, mixed in with my other reading. First up: what I am broadly deeming "personal non-fiction"--memoir, biography, autobiography, etc. This will start with the Melissa Gilbert memoir my mom gave me for Christmas :) Recommendations for anything really excellent in this big, vague genre?
3) Stay on top of my writing! This means blogging for now, but also (after our spring musical goes up in March, I think) getting back to my WIP. Or, WsIP (Mr. S is a nut for correct internal pluralization). After the musical--no excuses. But in the meantime, I will focus on keeping myself to at least 2x/week posting here. Small steps.
And, in order to put some pressure on myself for #3 and maybe help with the first two as well--I am hosting my first-ever giveaway! In my last post I laid out a TBR list of already-released books, but I am always trying to add to it. So for this giveaway, I will be sending one lucky winner the following:
1) A book of your choice from my TBR list (including the runners-up, for a total of sixteen books to choose from! If you've read them all, you can always donate one to a school or library near you!)
2) A book of your choice that will be released in 2012, pre-ordered for you from Amazon.com.
3) A $10 gift card to DonorsChoose.org. I love this site, and I've used it to get tons of books for my classroom (including sets of Catching Fire and Mockingjay, when I couldn't keep them on my shelves after teaching The Hunger Games!) I don't even have projects up right now, so there's no ulterior motive--but I would love it if the winner used this to support a teacher trying to get books for his/her classroom.
Entries will be accepted until 12:01 am EST on 1/16/12. You can earn points by commenting with the book you would want to pre-order and why (mandatory) and by sharing the link to this post on your own blog/Twitter/whatever (totally un-mandatory but very welcome). I will be using Rafflecopter to draw the winner's name so make sure you use the Widget to enter! It should prompt you to log in--I need a way to contact you! I'll also post the winner here within 48 hours of the end of the entry period, so if something goes horribly wrong, you'll be notified on this blog.
Note about eligibility: Winners must be in the Amazon.com shipping area. If necessary, I'll spend up to $10 for shipping but more than that gets a little goofy so if you're not sure, you may want to check on Amazon.com to see how much it would cost to ship you two books. Alternatively, you can win if you are willing and able to accept Kindle versions of the books. Kindle pre-orders can't be gifted, so if the winner wants/needs a Kindle version I will send the winner Amazon credit in the amount of the pre-order. I reserve the right to substitute an Amazon.com gift card for the amount of both books in the event that difficulties arise due to geography/stock/etc. But I think books are more fun, don't you?
a Rafflecopter giveaway