Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Sunshine: Odd Bedfellows

This week, I only got through two instead of my usual three--they were a bit longer than usual, and they are a really weird pairing.  Without further ado:

What I read in the last week: 




The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Whoah. Like everyone else who has read this book, I am now struggling to talk about it without spoiling. I think what I liked most about it is the way it puts the reader squarely in Mara's shoes for much of the book, as you and Mara both try to figure out what the heck is happening. Parts of it read like a dark contemporary romance, parts like a thriller, and other parts--I don't want to spoil the other parts. But I will say that Noah is just as irresistible as he is meant to be--and that I can't wait for book two!


Prairie Tale: A MemoirPrairie Tale: A Memoir by Melissa Gilbert
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Basically what I expected: some fun/amusing/surprising/sad anecdotes, but the writing didn't exactly light me on fire. I mean, not that Melissa Gilbert needs to be a great writer--she's got plenty else going for her :) I did like hearing about life on the Little House set--nerdily, I probably would have preferred to hear more about that and about Gilbert's development as an actress than about her star-studded romantic life.

View all my reviews

Waiting In The Wings: 

 (This is now at the tippy-top of the list--it's actually making me want tomorrow morning's commute to come faster, so I can start it!)

(This was recommended to me earlier this month when I mentioned wanting to read more memoir in January--and since I've only been meaning to read it for, oh, the last ten years, I decided it was about time.)




9 comments:

  1. I've seen so many good reviews of Daughter and Smoke and Bone! It's on my next order so, I hope to read it soon.And, I'll be adding The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DoSaB topped so many of the "Best Books of 2011" lists that I saw at the end of the year--I just couldn't put it off any longer! Unbecoming is really strange, but I could see it hooking a lot of my students, I think. It's so dark, and I think it'll appeal to fans of contemporary, horror/suspense, and maybe even some fantasy/paranormal readers.

      Delete
  2. I think you're going to love DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE - it was awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Initial reaction, after the first eleven chapters on the train this morning: it's very different from what I normally read. Even moreso than Mara Dyer, which felt like a unique hybrid of genres I'm into, there's something about Daughter of Smoke and Bone that feels alien to me. Not in a bad way--but in a way that keeps making me think of friends of mine who aren't my normal book-swapping friends.

    But I want to know more about EVERYTHING, and the writing is gorgeous. So I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to read Angela's Ashes forever. Let us know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNOW I NEED to read Smoke and Bones. It makes me feel better that you still haven't gotten to it either :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ANGELA'S ASHES remains one of my favorite books of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer for a very long time now--but the library hold list is long! Must wait and be patient.

    I have read Daughter of Smoke and Bone and it is truly as fabulous as what the good reviews say. I bought my own copy because I just knew I had to have it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, Daughter of Smoke and Bone is fabulous. Seriously. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! Please chime in!