Monday, November 18, 2013

30 Days of Gratitide: School Theatre, Neighborhood, Triple A, Optimism

Because I want to get back into the habit of blogging, and because I've been meaning to do this for a few years now, I will be doing 30 consecutive days of blog posts focusing on 30 different things I am grateful for.  Who says Thanksgiving is only one day a year?

Ok, so I guess it was unrealistic to expect that I would go from no posts in two months to posting every day.  That said, I have a lot to be thankful for, so here goes: 

School Theatre: On Thursday night, Mr. S and I went to see my students in the fall theatre production at one of my schools.  The whole show was gorgeous--dance, music, storytelling, and the most fabulous costumes that were made by the students in the production class.  It was a great evening and I was proud to know the girls involved.  

Neighborhood: As much as we miss our old neighborhood--an eclectic and diverse residential area just off a dining and shopping area widely regarded as the best in town--I'm really starting to love our new neighborhood.  It's quieter over here, and people really care about knowing their neighbors (we've already met our two nearest, because they made a point of stopping by.)  The houses are beautiful, and they're from a variety of different eras and styles.  We have a good neighborhood market a few blocks away, and some great Italian restaurants nearby.  We enjoyed a great meal at one of those restaurants with my mom and stepdad this weekend, and I have a hunch it may become our go-to place when they visit in the future.  And Mr. S grew up just a few blocks away, where his parents still live, so there are many family friends in the neighborhood as well.

Triple A: Today when I came out of School #1 on my way to School #2, I got in my car and drove about fifty feet before realizing something was really off.  I pulled over and hopped out to find that my two front tires were beyond flat.  Like, demolished.  So after a moment of panic, I remembered that my mother-in-law (for whom, you'll recall, I have already been grateful on this blog!) signed me up for Triple A.  I gave them a call and then all that was left for me to do was a bunch of waiting around (well, and buying two new tires.  But what can you do?)

Optimism: I think I am pretty good at finding the good in a situation, or at least the "it could have been worse."  This month's blog theme helps with that as well, since I'm in the mindset of looking for things to be grateful for.  It definitely helps when things go wrong--in the space of an hour or two today, I was thankful for: 
  • the fact that I pulled over when I first felt my car driving weirdly, instead of trying to drive to my next job on two flat tires
  • the fact that my second job is not the kind where I will get fired for missing a day and IS the kind where people are kind and understanding
  • the fact that missing a day of work and/or having to buy new tires will not be a financial derailment
  • the fact that it wasn't as cold today as it had been, so I could sit in my car and wait for the tow to make sure I didn't get ticketed for being on the wrong side
  • the fact that the tire place was near the subway so I could have gotten home if the car needed to stay overnight
  • the fact that the car didn't have to stay overnight
  • the fact that the tow truck driver and tire shop manager were both nice guys
  • the clean, pleasant waiting area with HGTV on in the background at the tire place.


3 comments:

  1. Being grateful really changes our perspective, doesn't it? I try to stop throughout the day and take a moment and be thankful, whether it's for big things like good health or smaller things, like a hot cup of coffee. :)

    Stopping by on the A-Z Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been completely blog absent, so I didn't know you were doing these posts. Gah! I love this idea, Jess, and I'm enjoying hearing what you're thankful about. :-) I'm so happy to hear that you guys are settling into your new house and neighbourhood. Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to read the rest of your Gratitude posts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new neighborhood sounds lovely, and your optimism section is really inspiring. Way to find the good in some rather challenging situations. Hope you're having a great week, Jess!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! Please chime in!